Edite Ligere named as winner of Global Law Experts Award 2021 for Banking & Finance in the UK - Jul 2021
Edite Ligere’s practice focuses on the regulation of artificial intelligence, global financial regulation, banking, insurance, human rights, consumer protection, charity law, data protection, machine learning and cyber security.Selected Representations (publicly disclosed)
- AIG Inc. in the development of the first global insurance capital standard (“ICS”).
- MetLife Inc. in the development of the activities based approach to the identification and mitigation of systemic risk in the insurance sector and the development of the ICS.
- Abu Dhabi Investment Council in various acquisitions.
- Scotiabank in various acquisitions.
- AmTrust in its $218.7 million acquisition of ANV Holding B.V.
- AIG with the preparation of a recovery and resolution plan under section 165 of the Dodd‑Frank Wall Street Reform and Consumer Protection Act.
- Lloyd’s of London High Premium Group.
- AIG in the proposed sale of AIA Group Limited to Prudential plc for $35.5 billion.
- GreyCastle Holdings in its $570 million acquisition, backed by a consortium of investors, of the run‑off Life Reinsurance operations of XL Group.
- TIAA‑CREF in its partnership with Henderson Group PLC to create TIAA Henderson Real Estate Limited, a new global real estate investment management company, with total assets under management of over $25 billion.
- Hardy Underwriting in its response to the unsolicited takeover approach announced by Beazley plc.
- Syncora Holdings Ltd., a Bermuda‑domiciled holding company, and its wholly‑owned New York and London subsidiaries, which underwrite financial guarantee insurance, Syncora Guarantee Inc. and Syncora Guarantee UK Limited (the “Company”), in a comprehensive restructuring that relieved the Company of approximately $6 billion in losses and loss reserves.
- Catlin Group in its £200 million rights issue, underwritten by JP Morgan and UBS.
- Omega in its agreement with Canopius Group on the terms of a recommended £164 million all‑cash bid for Omega by Canopius.
- Hanover Insurance Group in its £313 million public bid for Chaucer Holdings.
- Novae Insurance Company Limited on the transfer of its insurance business and reserves to Lloyd’s Syndicate 2007 by court order under Part VII of the Financial Services and Markets Act 2000.
- ‘A “sui generis” interpretation of the rule of law?’ Politeia, May 2021
- ‘Kryptonite or Crypto Right?‘, Politeia, April 2021
- ‘Liberty, Law and Lockdown’, Politeia, January 2020
- Insurance: can systemic risk get any more systemic post Covid – 19? chapter in the OECD’s New Approaches to Economic Challenges ‘The Financial System’
- Profit in Cyberspace? The Journal of Robotics, Artificial Intelligence and Law; Vol. 2, No. 3, 2019
- U.K. chapter on banking law and regulation in Getting The Deal Through, 13th Edition, March 2020
- U.K. and EU chapter on insurance and reinsurance in Practical Law, August 2018
- U.K. chapter on banking law and regulation in Getting The Deal Through, 12th Edition, March 2019
- U.K. and EU chapter on insurance and reinsurance in Getting The Deal Through, 11th Edition, August 2018
- U.K. and EU chapter on insurance and reinsurance in Practical Law, September 2017
- U.K. chapter on insurance and reinsurance in Getting The Deal Through, 10th Edition, August 2017
- Global systemic risk in the insurance sector – insurers split on recovery and resolution planning: Insurance ERM Issue 21 Spring 2017
- U.K. chapter on insurance and reinsurance in Getting The Deal Through, 9th Edition, August 2016
- Brexit For Insurers One Month On; Debevoise & Plimpton update August 2016
- Insurance and Reinsurance Global Guide Q&A “Insurance And Reinsurance In The U.K. (England And Wales): Overview,” 2016/2017, Thomson Reuters Practical Law: published July 2016
- Identifying Systemic Risk – A Risky Business?; Banking Law Journal July/August 2016 p. 364
- IAIS Introduces New Assessment Methodology for GSIIs and Discontinues NTNI Label; Debevoise & Plimpton update June 2016
- S. Federal Reserve Provides Guidance on Supervisory Approach to Insurance; Debevoise & Plimpton update May 2016
- The Importance of Being a Global Systemically Important Financial Institution; Insurance Day 28 April 2016, Law & Order section p.7
- Brexit – Regulatory Implications for Banks, Insurers and other Financial Services Firms; Debevoise & Plimpton update April 2016
- Prudential Regulation Authority Consults on Remuneration Rules; Debevoise & Plimpton update April 2016
- Insurers remain unconvinced by attempts to identity systemic risk; Global Risk Regulator – A Publication from The Banker, Financial Times, March 2016/Volume 14, Issue 3
- Age of Aquarius for Individual Accountability in Financial Services?; Journal of International Banking Law and Regulation 2016, 31(3), p. 174
- U.K. chapter on insurance and reinsurance in Getting The Deal Through, 8th Edition, June 2015
- Industry Prepares for Senior Managers Regime; Insurance Day 19 November 2015, Law & Order section p. 6
- Development of International Regulatory Capital Standards Continues, Insurance Day, 2 September 2015, Law & Order section p. 6
- New Global Insurer Capital Requirements Could Increase M&A, Law360, 27 October 2015
- The EU Solvency II Regime for Insurers: An Update on Implementation FC&S, 1 May 2015
- Quo Vadis, Europe?; Journal of International Banking Law and Regulation 2015, 30 (2), p. 121
- Co‑author of the Debevoise & Plimpton Insurance and Investment Management M&A Deskbook published by the Practising Law Institute, Corporate and Securities Law Library, 27th April 2015, particularly:
- Chapter 2 – Private Acquisitions of an Insurance Business
- Chapter 3 – Acquiring a Block of Insurance Business
- Chapter 5 – Insurance Regulatory Approval Requirements for a Stock Purchase Deal
- Chapter 10 – Investing in Lloyd’s
- IAIS Consults on G‑SIIs and NTNI: Are G‑SIIs sellers of non‑core and NTNI business units?; Debevoise & Plimpton update December 2015
- Solvency II – What you need to know as effectiveness nears; Debevoise & Plimpton update December 2015
- Solvency II equivalence decisions and U.S. – EU Covered Agreement; Debevoise & Plimpton update December 2015
- IAIS begins public consultation on HLA for G‑SIIs; Debevoise & Plimpton update July 2015
- Financial Stability Board publishes updated list of global systemically important insurers and global systemically important banks; Debevoise & Plimpton update November 2015
- Bank of England and Financial Services Bill extends senior managers and certification regime to all U.K. regulated financial services firms; Debevoise & Plimpton update October 2015
- NAIC begins to develop a group capital measure for U.S. insurance enterprises; Debevoise & Plimpton update August 2015
- The Insurance Act 2015 – Key Considerations; Debevoise & Plimpton update March 2015
- Solvency II – The Way Forward; Debevoise & Plimpton update October 2014
- The Future of Banking in the EU ?; Journal of International Banking Law and Regulation 2014, 29 (5), p. 308
- Enhanced Prudential Standards for Foreign Banking Organisations – A Guide for Each FBO Type; Debevoise & Plimpton update February 2014
- Bonus Caps – A Step to Ever Closer Union or Fragmentation in the EU?; Journal of International Banking Law and Regulation 2013, 28 (7), p. 293
- The United Kingdom’s New Financial Services Regulatory Structure – The Shape of Things To Come?; Journal of International Banking Law and Regulation 2013, 28 (4), p. 156
- Cross‑Border Resolution of Banking Groups – International Initiatives and U.S. Perspectives; Pratt’s Journal of Bankruptcy Law, Volume 9, Number 7, p.583, October 2013
- The U.K.’s Financial Services (Banking Reform) Bill : Expect the Unexpected; Journal of International Banking Law and Regulation 2013, 28 (4), N47
- Equivalence Under the EUs Solvency II Directive; Law360, January 2012
- Hot CoCos from Basel III – The Next Bank Hybrid?; Journal of International Banking Law and Regulation 2011, 26 (8), p. 412
- EU Regulation 3642/09 on Credit Rating Agencies; Journal of International Banking Law and Regulation 2010, 25 (1), p. 1
- Editor of Lincoln’s Inn lectures on European Law and Human Rights, 2010 Sweet & Maxwell
- K. Financial Services Authority adopts enhanced liquidity standards – the first test of global financial regulatory coordination? Debevoise & Plimpton Financial Institutions Report 13 October 2009
- Locus Standi and the Public Interest: A Hotchpoch of Legal Principles; Journal of Planning Law, 2005 Sweet & Maxwell
- Providing the Court with Legislation; Judicial Review 2004, 9 (2), p.157
- The law of confidentiality, the emerging law of privacy and the operation of the European Convention on Human Rights in domestic Courts; Lawtel Human Rights Bulletin, 4 September 2003
- ‘Going Green – Consistent with Economic Recovery?’ Politeia, June 2021
- ‘EU Trade and Cooperation Agreement’ webinar, The European Institute of Columbia University, the European Legal Studies Center of Columbia University and the European American Chamber of Commerce in New York with British Consul General in New York and HM Trade Commissioner for North America Anthony Phillipson, Barney Reynolds, Partner and Member of the Executive Committee of Shearman & Sterling, Katharina Pistor, Professor of Comparative Law, Georges Ugeux, Chairman of Galileo Global Advisors Moderator and Adam Tooze, Professor of History Columbia University and Director of the European institute, 19 March 2021, U.K.
- ‘Artificial Intelligence in Healthcare with Robert Kellar QC & Edite Ligere’ Seminar, Leigh Day, London, July 2020
- In Conversation With…Robert Kellar QC & Edite Ligere’, Artificial Intelligence; Real Headache? Seminar, DWF, London, March 2020
- Brexit: The Final Curtain. What are the Legal Implications for the UK and the EU? Contemporary History and Institutions of the Mediterranean Series, Johns Hopkins School of Advanced International Studies, Bologna (date to be confirmed)
- Guest Professor in International Law and Human Rights, Johns Hopkins School of Advanced International Studies (SAIS) Europe; Bologna, November 2019
- Participated in “Averting Systemic Collapse”: New Approaches to Economic Challenges, Organisation for Economic Cooperation and Development (OECD), Paris, September 2019
- How to sustainably improve capital allocation across the EU? Eurofi Financial Forum 2019, Helsinki, September 2019
- United nations in a divided world: geopolitical turbulence and global financial stability: Columbia Law School, New York, NY, U.S.A. March 2019
- The Activities Based Approach to Systematic Risk: The Way Forward, Eurofi Financial Forum, Vienna, September 2018
- Participated in the New Approaches to Economic Challenges: “10 years after the crisis; what have we learned?” Forum at the OECD, Paris, September 2018
- Participated in the IAIS Global Seminar organised in conjunction with the Central Bank of Russia, Moscow, July 2018
- Global Financial Stability and Systemic Risk: Columbia Law School, New York, NY, U.S.A. February 2018
- Systemic Risk, Recovery and Resolution in the Insurance Sector: Institute of International Finance/PricewaterhouseCoopers, London, U.K. October 2017
- Identifying and addressing global systemic risk in the insurance sector: the way forward: Eurofi Financial Forum 2017, Tallinn, Estonia, September 2017
- Various meetings at the Bank for International Settlements, Basel, Switzerland in 2016 and 2017
- Brexit: Issues for Financial Institutions: Debevoise & Plimpton, London, U.K., May 2017
- Global recovery and resolution standards: Institute of International Finance/PricewaterhouseCoopers, London, U.K. October 2016
- Brexit – Issues for Insurers: Debevoise & Plimpton, London, U.K., July 2016
- Regulation of financial services in the U.K. and M & A considerations: Debevoise & Plimpton, London, U.K., April 2016.
- Lloyd’s of London and Managing General Agents/Underwriters – the way forward – Debevoise & Plimpton, London, U.K., September 2015
- Human Rights Update – The Honourable Society of Lincoln’s Inn, London, U.K., June 2015
- Basel III and CRD IV – Risk Management Association’s European Conference at Nomura, London, U.K., May 2015
- Raising the Bar: Insurers Worldwide Likely to Face More Burdensome Capital and Resolution Planning Requirements Arising from the International Association of Insurance Supervisors Amsterdam Conference – Debevoise & Plimpton New York & London, U.K., 31 October 2014
- Market Risk and Counterparty Risk – Risk Management Association’s European Conference at Citibank, London, U.K., May 2013
Edite Ligere named the new Director of Politeia - Jan 2021
Edite Ligere named as winner of International Advisory Experts Award 2020 for Banking & Finance in the UK - Jul 2020
Edite Ligere named Banking & Finance Lawyer of 2020 in the UK by Leaders in Law 2020 Global Awards - Jun 2020
Edite Ligere contributes chapter on insurance to OECD’s NAEC publication ‘The Financial System 2020’ - Apr 2020
In Conversation With…Robert Kellar QC and Edite Ligere on “Artificial Intelligence, Real Headache?” - Mar 2020
Edite Ligere appointed to the Bar Council - Feb 2020
Edite Ligere offers insight into machine learning and AI at the Eurofi Financial Forum - Sep 2019
Edite Ligere named as winner of International Advisory Experts Award 2019 for Banking & Finance in the U.K. - Jul 2019
Delighted to announce Edite Ligere has joined 1COR as an Associate Member - Apr 2018