1COR Quarterly Medical Law Review – Winter 2019/20 – Issue 4 - Mar 2020
David represents both institutions and private clients at inquests. This is often in inquests either involving deaths in custody or where there are perceived failings by hospitals or healthcare practitioners, but his inquest experience is wide and extends, for example, to deaths of soldiers on active service overseas, air crashes and serious traffic accidents.
He regularly represents families of the deceased, the Prison Service, hospitals and healthcare practitioners, as well as private sector companies and organisations who are granted interested persons status.
He is the author of two chapters in “The Inquest Book” (2016, Hart Publishing, ed. Garnham and Cross).
- Shoreham Air Crash (2016 – ongoing): Death of 11 spectators following crash of Hawker Hunter jet at airshow. Inquest date set for September 2020.
- Re Teyneen Taylor (2020): Death of mental health campaigner and blogger in psychiatric hospital.
- Re Alex Malcom (2019): Death of toddler by mother’s boyfriend.
- Re Imran Douglas (2015): Death of young offender at HMP Brixton, following transfer from YOI.
- Re Daniel Byrne (2015): Death of inmate at HMP Woodhill.
- Re Sgt Loughran-Dickson (2014): Death of soldier on active service in Afghanistan.
- Re NM (2014): Death of mother caused stroke during childbirth, misinterpreted MRI.
- Re Thi Hien Tran (2013): Death of prisoner in custody following series of healthcare errors.
- Re David Love (2013): Death in custody, suicide.
- Re Robin Blowes (2012): Patient in confused post-operative state who fell from hospital window. Subsequent HSE prosecution.
- Re Raymond Lane (2012): Issues over adequacy of review of scans for patient with brain tumour.
David Manknell represents father at inquest into death of mental health campaigner - Feb 2020
Date set for inquest into deaths from the Shoreham Airshow Disaster - Jan 2020
David Manknell and Jo Moore successful in JR challenging Home Office decision-making - Jan 2020
Inquest opens into the death of Alex Malcolm - Sep 2019
Congratulations to David Manknell, Suzanne Lambert, Alasdair Henderson, Natasha Barnes and Paul Reynolds on their appointments to Attorney General’s Panel of Counsel - Jul 2019
David Manknell acts for AAIB in High Court refusal of BBC application for Shoreham cockpit footage - Jan 2019
The Kenyan Emergency Group Litigation is at an end - Nov 2018
Guy Mansfield QC upholds Kenya Emergency Group Litigation judgment in Court of Appeal - Oct 2018
David Manknell and Amelia Walker successful in their defence of the Dubs child refugee scheme - Nov 2017
David Manknell and Amelia Walker successfully defend challenge to the Home Office’s procedures - Sep 2017
David Manknell appears in High Court ruling on the scope of judicial review - Sep 2017
1COR Public Law Seminar – Life, Liberty & Security - Sep 2017
The Times reports on Chambers extremism cases - Jun 2017
Martin Downs in new Radicalisation Judgment about protecting older children and vulnerable adults - Apr 2017
Marina Wheeler QC in Public Interest Immunity & Radicalisation case - Apr 2017
David Manknell wins in Court of Appeal in licence conditions and family separation case - Mar 2017
Profits from the sale of the Inquest Book given to the Bar Pro Bono Unit - Nov 2016
David Manknell in Calais Children Asylum Case - Jan 2016
David Manknell appointed to the A Panel of Junior Counsel to the Crown - Jul 2015
David Manknell acting for the Investigatory Powers Tribunal in GCHQ surveillance claims - Jul 2014
David Manknell in Court of Appeal win on French burqa ban law - Jul 2014
David Manknell acting in “Edward Snowden” claims, instructed as Counsel to the Investigatory Powers Tribunal - Feb 2014
David Manknell appeared in Supreme Court cases on oral hearings before the Parole Board - Oct 2013
David Manknell in Supreme Court cases on oral hearings before the Parole Board - Apr 2013
New Appointments to the Attorney General’s A, B and C Panels – February 2013 - Feb 2013
New Appointments to the Attorney General’s A, B and C Panels – February 2012 - Feb 2012
New appointments to the Attorney General’s A, B and C Panels - Mar 2010