David Manknell acts for AAIB in High Court refusal of BBC application for Shoreham cockpit footage - Jan 2019
David’s practice encompasses all aspects of immigration and asylum law. He has appeared in hundreds of claims for judicial review in this area, and regularly appears in the Court of Appeal.
He has particular expertise in matters related to the Dublin Regulation, and has acted in many of the leading cases in that area. He has also acted in all of the main challenges to the UK’s response to the “jungle” camp in Calais.
- R(Help Refugees Ltd) v SSHD  4 WLR: Defended the SSHD’s implementation of the ‘Dubs Amendment’ scheme under s.67 of the Immigration Act 2016. Issues in respect of the consultation process, the setting of the number of children to be transferred, and the process adopted.
- SSHD v ZAT and others  EWCA Civ 810;  1 W.L.R. 4894, and R(ZAT) v SSHD  UKUT 61 (IAC): The Calais children litigation. This was the joined cases concerning children residing in the camp known as the jungle in Calais. The legal issue was the extent to which the UK was obliged to admit those who claimed to have family in the UK, when they had not claimed asylum in France.
- R(Pour and others) v SSHD  EWHC 401 (Admin);  2 C.M.L.R. 47: Four joined test cases which concerned whether asylum seekers can be returned to Cyprus as a safe third country, given alleged deficiencies in Cypriot procedure and facilities.
- R(Hassan and Karada) v SSHD (IJR)  UKUT 452 (IAC): This was a test case in respect of whether asylum seekers who had previously claimed asylum in Malta can safely be returned to Malta for their claims to be considered, given the restrictions facing such claimants in Malta.
- R(Dudaev) v SSHD  EWHC 1641 (Admin);  3 C.M.L.R. 37: This case before the Divisional Court covered important legal issues in respect of the compatibility with the EU Charter of UK legislation governing transfers of asylum seekers back to other European countries.
- R (AI) v SSHD  EWHC 244 (Admin): Dublin regulation: returns to France and French fast-track asylum procedure.
- R(B) v SSHD  EWCA Civ 854;  1 W.L.R. 4188: The “burka ban” case, in the Court of Appeal. This concerned whether the French burka ban prevented removal to France of a young asylum seeker who wore the burka, and would not be permitted to attend school in France.
- R(Brit College) v SSHD  EWHC 4164 (Admin): Revocation of sponsor licence for Higher Education College. Lawfulness of “bright line” rules.
- R(Warnborough College Ltd) v SSHD  EWHC 3915 (Admin): Revocation of sponsor licence, alleged impossibility of requirements.
- NP(Sri Lanka) v SSHD  EWCA Civ 906: Whether Secretary of State can rely on internal relocation in an appeal to the UT, when it did not form part of their case in the original refusal or the FTT.
- RS (Pakistan) v SSHD  EWCA Civ 434: Students who fail their examinations cannot remain in the United Kingdom as students whilst waiting to re-sit the examinations, unless they are in the meantime attending a full-time course of study.
- SS and Others (Sovereign immunity claim – Certificate conclusive) Malaysia  UKAIT 00007: International law: refusal to extend sovereign or diplomatic immunity to the Sultan of Pahang, Malaysia under the State Immunity Act 1978 and the Diplomatic Privileges Act 1964.
The Kenyan Emergency Group Litigation is at an end - Nov 2018
Guy Mansfield QC upholds Kenya Emergency Group Litigation judgment in Court of Appeal - Oct 2018
1COR Public Law Seminar – Life, Liberty & Security - Sep 2017
David Manknell and Amelia Walker successful in their defence of the Dubs child refugee scheme - Nov 2017
David Manknell and Amelia Walker successfully defend challenge to the Home Office’s procedures - Sep 2017
David Manknell appears in High Court ruling on the scope of judicial review - Sep 2017
The Times reports on Chambers extremism cases - Jun 2017
Martin Downs in new Radicalisation Judgment about protecting older children and vulnerable adults - Apr 2017
Marina Wheeler QC in Public Interest Immunity & Radicalisation case - Apr 2017
David Manknell wins in Court of Appeal in licence conditions and family separation case - Mar 2017
Profits from the sale of the Inquest Book given to the Bar Pro Bono Unit - Nov 2016
David Manknell in Calais Children Asylum Case - Jan 2016
David Manknell appointed to the A Panel of Junior Counsel to the Crown - Jul 2015
David Manknell acting for the Investigatory Powers Tribunal in GCHQ surveillance claims - Jul 2014
David Manknell in Court of Appeal win on French burqa ban law - Jul 2014
David Manknell acting in “Edward Snowden” claims, instructed as Counsel to the Investigatory Powers Tribunal - Feb 2014
David Manknell appeared in Supreme Court cases on oral hearings before the Parole Board - Oct 2013
David Manknell in Supreme Court cases on oral hearings before the Parole Board - Apr 2013
New Appointments to the Attorney General’s A, B and C Panels – February 2013 - Feb 2013
New Appointments to the Attorney General’s A, B and C Panels – February 2012 - Feb 2012
New appointments to the Attorney General’s A, B and C Panels - Mar 2010