David Manknell and Jo Moore successful in JR challenging Home Office decision-making - Jan 2020
David has expertise across a range of areas of healthcare law, in addition to his clinical negligence practice. This includes both public law and private law claims, and relates to, amongst other things: challenges by way of judicial review to hospital closures and reconfigurations, availability of specific treatments and drugs, contractual and structural issues in the NHS (especially GPs and dentists), mental health law, medical product liability, cases involving ethical questions such as consent to treatment, and cases relating to confidentiality and patient information.
- Higgs v West Essex Primary Care Trust: Challenge by way of Judicial Review of refusal of funding for surgical procedures.
- Dr Lie v NHS Commissioning Board: Claim for breach of contract against NHS England, and further appeal to the Court of Appeal. Issue as to the contractual terms, and effect of Art.1 Protocol 1 ECHR on exclusion of contractual rights.
- Carter v Secretary of State for Justice: Judicial review claim, challenging failure to provide appropriate psychiatric treatment to life sentence prisoner. Dispute as to responsibilities of NHS and Secretary of State.
- CB v S Trust (Ryder J): Declaration obtained that would be in a four year old child’s best interests to receive alternative treatment for neuroblastoma in contested case. Funded by the Neuroblastoma Alliance.
- Walnuttree Hospital (Jackson v Suffolk PCT): Judicial review claim challenging hospital closure/ reconfiguration, and challenge to consultation process.
- Orchard Hill: (Harman and Hewitt v Sutton & Merton PCT): Judicial review claim challenging long-stay hospital closure/ reconfiguration, consultation and “homes for life” promises.
Inquest opens into the death of Alex Malcolm - Sep 2019
Congratulations to David Manknell, Suzanne Lambert, Alasdair Henderson, Natasha Barnes and Paul Reynolds on their appointments to Attorney General’s Panel of Counsel - Jul 2019
David Manknell acts for AAIB in High Court refusal of BBC application for Shoreham cockpit footage - Jan 2019
The Kenyan Emergency Group Litigation is at an end - Nov 2018
Guy Mansfield QC upholds Kenya Emergency Group Litigation judgment in Court of Appeal - Oct 2018
David Manknell and Amelia Walker successful in their defence of the Dubs child refugee scheme - Nov 2017
David Manknell and Amelia Walker successfully defend challenge to the Home Office’s procedures - Sep 2017
David Manknell appears in High Court ruling on the scope of judicial review - Sep 2017
1COR Public Law Seminar – Life, Liberty & Security - Sep 2017
The Times reports on Chambers extremism cases - Jun 2017
Martin Downs in new Radicalisation Judgment about protecting older children and vulnerable adults - Apr 2017
Marina Wheeler QC in Public Interest Immunity & Radicalisation case - Apr 2017
David Manknell wins in Court of Appeal in licence conditions and family separation case - Mar 2017
Profits from the sale of the Inquest Book given to the Bar Pro Bono Unit - Nov 2016
David Manknell in Calais Children Asylum Case - Jan 2016
David Manknell appointed to the A Panel of Junior Counsel to the Crown - Jul 2015
David Manknell acting for the Investigatory Powers Tribunal in GCHQ surveillance claims - Jul 2014
David Manknell in Court of Appeal win on French burqa ban law - Jul 2014
David Manknell acting in “Edward Snowden” claims, instructed as Counsel to the Investigatory Powers Tribunal - Feb 2014
David Manknell appeared in Supreme Court cases on oral hearings before the Parole Board - Oct 2013
David Manknell in Supreme Court cases on oral hearings before the Parole Board - Apr 2013
New Appointments to the Attorney General’s A, B and C Panels – February 2013 - Feb 2013
New Appointments to the Attorney General’s A, B and C Panels – February 2012 - Feb 2012
New appointments to the Attorney General’s A, B and C Panels - Mar 2010