Amy Mannion successful for claimant in judicial review against Royal Borough of Kingston Upon Thames - Apr 2021
Amy is particularly well known for her indirect taxes and duties work. She is instructed as both leader and junior in all levels of tribunals and up to the Supreme Court and CJEU. She is particularly sought after in public law cases concerning tax matters, for both HMRC and claimants.
- Jersey Choice Ltd v HMT  EWHC 3258 (Ch): Successful in strike out of claim for Francovich damages.
- OWD Ltd and another v HMRC  UKSC 30: Concerns the HMRC-managed Alcohol Wholesalers Registration Scheme (AWRS).
- Richard Allen v HMRC UKT (2019): High Court upheld that VAT Directive 83/181 art.1 did not confer rights on individuals.
- Beehive Wine Store v HMRC: acted for HMRC in alcohol excise WOWGR-approval revocation appeal.
- R (oao X Ltd & Y Ltd; ABC Ltd) v HMRC : Court of Appeal consideration of the correct approach to injunctive relief in cases where there is dedicated appeal scheme before the Tribunal which does not provide for suspensive relief. Arises out of new Alcohol Wholesalers Registration Scheme.
- Volkswagen Financial Services (UK) Ltd v HMRC  UKSC 26: Supreme Court determined second ground of appeal and referred primary ground to the CJEU. VAT case; concerns partial exemption special methods. Led by Owain Thomas QC.
- Safe Cellars v HMRC : High Court discharged injunction against HMRC.
- HMRC v Ahmed, T/A Beehive Wines : Upper Tribunal review of approach taken by First Tier Tribunal to reviews of reasonableness of a decision.
- HMRC v Brobot Petroleum  UKUT 398: Upper Tribunal decision concerning deferred payments of duty for petroleum. The UT found HMRC had been entitled and reasonable to focus on eligibility as a first stage nt he application process.
- R (oao Ahmed) v HMRC  3954: HMRC’s WOWGR revocation decision was not ‘fundamentally unlawful’ such that injunctive relief would be appropriate.
- Colchester v HMRC  STI 871: Upper Tribunal. First UT authority on when a construction is an ‘annex’ to a building.
Amy Mannion successful in strike out of claim for Francovich damages - Dec 2020
Undercover Policing Inquiry’s hearings begin today - Nov 2020
1COR hosts Sutton Trust students for an insight into life at the Bar - Oct 2019
Amy Mannion successful before the Supreme Court - Jun 2019
1COR walk in the LLST’s London Legal Walk 2019 - Jun 2019
Amy Mannion successful for HMRC in VAT EU law case - Apr 2019
Five members volunteer at Inner Temple’s ‘Becoming a Barrister’ day - Feb 2019
Jo Moore and Amy Mannion speak on panel about Pathways to Law at the London School of Economics - Jan 2019
Amy Mannion successful for HMRC in alcohol excise WOWGR-approval revocation appeal - Apr 2018
Congratulations to Owain Thomas QC, Jeremy Hyam QC and Amy Mannion on being appointed as Recorders - Mar 2018
The Supreme Court grant permission in OWD Ltd & Another v HMRC - Feb 2018
Amy Mannion promoted to A panel of the Attorney General’s Panels of Counsel - Jun 2017
Amy Mannion successful for HMRC in discharging a High Court injunction - May 2017
Amy Mannion to appear in Court of Appeal in alcohol wholesaler judicial review and injunction cases - May 2017
Supreme Court refers questions to the CJEU in Volkswagen Financial Services Ltd v Commissioners for HMRC - Apr 2017
Owain Thomas QC, leading Amy Mannion, Acted for HMRC against Volkswagen Financial Services - Nov 2016
Amy Mannion win for HMRC in Upper Tribunal (Tax Chamber) - Aug 2016
Suzanne Lambert and Amy Mannion return to practice after maternity leave - Sep 2015
Amy Mannion successful in unlawful detention judicial review - May 2014
Amy Mannion successfully defended the Home Office against two joined applications for judicial review - May 2014
Amy Mannion successful in Upper Tribunal for HMRC in Colchester v HMRC - Apr 2014
Amy Mannion wins case for HMRC clarifying that a card game, Bridge, is not a sport - Feb 2014
Amy Mannion wins in VAT case worth £400,000 - Jun 2013
Amy Mannion has been appointed to two Crown Prosecution Service (CPS) Specialist Advocate Panels - Mar 2013
Amy Mannion wins for HMRC in Global Corporation Trading v HMRC - Mar 2013
New Appointments to the Attorney General’s A, B and C Panels – February 2013 - Feb 2013