Alasdair Henderson secures award of damages for false imprisonment in a hospital setting - Jan 2019
Employment & Equality
Alasdair has extensive experience of acting for both Claimants and Respondents in a wide variety of employment and discrimination matters.
His recent cases have involved issues as diverse as rolled-up holiday pay, whistleblowing, TUPE compliance, the definition of ’employee’, redundancy/restructuring and constructive dismissal. He is instructed in complex discrimination claims and has particular experience in dealing with workplace problems arising in the education and healthcare sectors.
- Griffiths v Great Places Housing Group Ltd. UKEAT/0097/16/BA: Acted for the appellant in an appeal considering whether new evidence would have had an important influence on the outcome of the case.
- Staph v Norgren Ltd. UKEAT/0211/16/BA: Acted for the appellant in an appeal concerning discriminatory constructive dismissal.
- Swanbridge Hire and Sales Ltd v Butler & others UKEAT/0056/13/BA: Acted for the Claimant trade union in an appeal concerning the meaning of the “single specific event or task of short-term duration” exception to service provision change TUPE transfers.
- Gloucestershire Primary Care Trust v Sesay UKEAT/0004/13/MC: Acted for the Claimant successfully resisting the employer’s appeal against the exercise of discretion by an employment judge on time limits, amendment of the claim form and a deposit order application in a complex and lengthy race discrimination and harassment claim.
- Williams v Ystrad Mynach College  EqLR 89: Acted for a Claimant suffering from hydrocephalus in a successful claim for unfair dismissal and disability discrimination.
- Schafer v Royal Holloway and Bedford New College  EqLR 429: Acted in a three-week equal pay claim for the Claimant, who was a female university professor claiming ‘like work’ with male professors. This was a test case in respect of the issue of ‘like work’ and some elements of the ‘genuine material factor’ defence in the context of higher education.
1COR proud to announce that Alasdair Henderson has been appointed an Equality and Human Rights Commissioner - May 2018
1COR Public Law Seminar – Life, Liberty & Security - Sep 2017
Alasdair Henderson appears in high-profile M4 Relief Road inquiry - Mar 2017
Profits from the sale of the Inquest Book given to the Bar Pro Bono Unit - Nov 2016
Alasdair Henderson stands for Parliament - Apr 2015
Neil Sheldon and Alasdair Henderson appear for the Lord Chancellor in LASPO case: Rights of Women v SSJ - Jan 2015
Four Members of 1COR involved in the Public Inquiry into the death of Alexander Litvinenko - Jan 2015
Neil Garnham QC assisted by Alasdair Henderson and Lois Williams appointed by Rochdale Council to lead independent review into historic child abuse allegations - Apr 2014
New appointments to the Attorney General’s A and C Panels - Feb 2014
Alasdair Henderson in inquest into death of Sarah Mulenga and the failure of paramedics attending her - May 2013
Alasdair Henderson represents Claimant in a whistleblowing claim on pay increases for a CEO and other senior managers - May 2013
Nine members of 1COR involved in Al-Sweady Public Inquiry - Mar 2013
Members Appointed to the Legal Services Board External Panel of Legal Advisors - Dec 2012
Members of One Crown Office Row acted in the Leveson Inquiry - Nov 2012
Neil Garnham QC and Alasdair Henderson are acting for the Metropolitan Police in the Leveson Inquiry - May 2012
Alasdair Henderson starts his tenancy at 1COR - Mar 2011