Congratulations to David Manknell, Suzanne Lambert, Alasdair Henderson, Natasha Barnes and Paul Reynolds on their appointments to Attorney General’s Panel of Counsel - Jul 2019
Employment & Equality
Alasdair has extensive experience of acting for both Claimants and Respondents in a wide variety of employment and discrimination matters.
His recent cases have involved issues as diverse as rolled-up holiday pay, whistleblowing, TUPE compliance, the definition of ’employee’, redundancy/restructuring and constructive dismissal. He is instructed in complex discrimination claims and has particular experience in dealing with workplace problems arising in the education and healthcare sectors.
- Griffiths v Great Places Housing Group Ltd. UKEAT/0097/16/BA: Acted for the appellant in an appeal considering whether new evidence would have had an important influence on the outcome of the case.
- Staph v Norgren Ltd. UKEAT/0211/16/BA: Acted for the appellant in an appeal concerning discriminatory constructive dismissal.
- Swanbridge Hire and Sales Ltd v Butler & others UKEAT/0056/13/BA: Acted for the Claimant trade union in an appeal concerning the meaning of the “single specific event or task of short-term duration” exception to service provision change TUPE transfers.
- Gloucestershire Primary Care Trust v Sesay UKEAT/0004/13/MC: Acted for the Claimant successfully resisting the employer’s appeal against the exercise of discretion by an employment judge on time limits, amendment of the claim form and a deposit order application in a complex and lengthy race discrimination and harassment claim.
- Williams v Ystrad Mynach College  EqLR 89: Acted for a Claimant suffering from hydrocephalus in a successful claim for unfair dismissal and disability discrimination.
- Schafer v Royal Holloway and Bedford New College  EqLR 429: Acted in a three-week equal pay claim for the Claimant, who was a female university professor claiming ‘like work’ with male professors. This was a test case in respect of the issue of ‘like work’ and some elements of the ‘genuine material factor’ defence in the context of higher education.
Law Pod UK Ep 85: M4 relief road U-turn - Jun 2019
Alasdair Henderson secures award of damages for false imprisonment in a hospital setting - Jan 2019
1COR proud to announce that Alasdair Henderson has been appointed an Equality and Human Rights Commissioner - May 2018
Law Pod UK Ep. 14: Unlawful detention in immigration cases - Oct 2017
1COR Public Law Seminar – Life, Liberty & Security - Sep 2017
Alasdair Henderson appears in high-profile M4 Relief Road inquiry - Mar 2017
Profits from the sale of the Inquest Book given to the Bar Pro Bono Unit - Nov 2016
Alasdair Henderson stands for Parliament - Apr 2015
Neil Sheldon and Alasdair Henderson appear for the Lord Chancellor in LASPO case: Rights of Women v SSJ - Jan 2015
Four Members of 1COR involved in the Public Inquiry into the death of Alexander Litvinenko - Jan 2015
Neil Garnham QC assisted by Alasdair Henderson and Lois Williams appointed by Rochdale Council to lead independent review into historic child abuse allegations - Apr 2014
New appointments to the Attorney General’s A and C Panels - Feb 2014
Alasdair Henderson in inquest into death of Sarah Mulenga and the failure of paramedics attending her - May 2013
Alasdair Henderson represents Claimant in a whistleblowing claim on pay increases for a CEO and other senior managers - May 2013
Nine members of 1COR involved in Al-Sweady Public Inquiry - Mar 2013
Members Appointed to the Legal Services Board External Panel of Legal Advisors - Dec 2012
Members of One Crown Office Row acted in the Leveson Inquiry - Nov 2012
Neil Garnham QC and Alasdair Henderson are acting for the Metropolitan Police in the Leveson Inquiry - May 2012
Alasdair Henderson starts his tenancy at 1COR - Mar 2011