The last 12 months have provided fertile ground for many significant judgments concerning inquest law. In Episode 136, Emma-Louise Fenelon speaks to Rachel Marcus and Jim Duffy about the developments practitioners will need to know about.
The episode mentions:
1. Rushbrooke v HM Coroner for West London  EWHC 1612 (Admin)
2. R (Maughan) v Senior Coroner for Oxfordshire  UKSC 46
– See Owain Thomas QC’s article on this case here
– The Chief Coroner’s Law Sheet No. 6.
3. R (Carole Smith) v HM Assistant Coroner for North West Wales  EWHC 781 (Admin)
4. Greater Manchester Fire and Rescue Service v Veevers  EWHC 2550
5. Maguire v HM Senior Coroner for Blackpool & Fylde 
– See Shaheen Rahman QC’s three part series on Article 2 cases in healthcare contexts, including Maguire, here: Part 1, Part 2 & Part 3.
– See also R (Skelton) v Senior Coroner for West Sussex and the Chief Constable of Sussex Police & Robert Trigg (interested parties)  EWHC 2813 (Admin)
– Matthew Hill’s article on this case here.
6. R (on the application of Lewis) v Senior Coroner for North West Kent  2 WLUK 180
7. R (Iroko) v HM Senior Coroner for Inner London South  EWHC 1753
8. Chief Constable West Yorks Police v Dyer & Assistant Coroner for West Yorkshire & others  EWCA Civ 1375
9. Re Ketcher and Mitchell  NICA 31
10. Although we did not have time to include it in the episode, R (Grice) v  EWHC 3581 (Admin), handed down on Christmas Eve, concerns is also important reading. The case concerns the need for a resumed inquest where a criminal trial and other reviews and investigations have been carried out.
Law Pod UK is available on Spotify, Apple Podcasts, Audioboom, Player FM, Podbean, iHeart, Radio Public, Deezer or wherever you listen to our podcasts.
Please remember to rate and review us if you like what you hear.