Stuart Wright is our Head of Civil Litigation and an ADR Group Accredited Civil and Commercial Mediator.
Stuart has a dedicated civil practice developed over the past 17 years and has received consistently strong independent directory ratings for each of the past 11 consecutive years. He is regularly instructed in a range of common law matters with particular expertise in Property Law, Professional Negligence, Contractual Disputes (Business & Personal) and Personal Injury/Fatal Accident claims. He provides in-house lectures for Local Authorities, Housing Associations and firms of solicitors in his specialist areas. Whilst predominantly practising throughout the south east he travels nationally when required.
Stuart is a trained mediator and accepts instructions in a wide range of civil & commercial disputes. His longstanding background as a civil barrister and his ability to identify and focus on the issues at the heart of the dispute provide a firm foundation for his work as a civil & commercial mediator. Further details are available here.
He is recognised as a leading junior by both Chambers & Partners and Legal 500:
- “He’s bright, sharp and incisive” Chambers & Partners (2018)
- “Approachable, kind and fair” Legal 500 (2017)
- “He’s excellent with clients, very clearly spoken and gives good, comprehensive advice. He’s a very calm advocate who orchestrates things well in court, and has a good manner about him.” Chambers & Partners (2017)
- “A forceful but calm advocate” Legal 500 (2016)
- “He is a powerful negotiator who isn’t put off by a difficult case.” “He’s very professional, with good presentation skills in both court and mediation. He provides crisp and to the point advice.” Chambers & Partners (2016)
- “His strengths lie in the professional manner in which he approaches cases and clients alike” Legal 500 (2015)
- “He’s very thorough, charming and persuasive.” “He’s a good all-round junior. He has an impressive court presence and persuasively articulates legal arguments on his feet.” Chambers & Partners (2015)
- “A strong advocate with good client care skills” Legal 500 (2014)
- “Deals with commercial and contract disputes and also has strong expertise in property law and personal injury work.” “He handles all cases very efficiently and well.” Chambers & Partners (2014)
- “Personal injury specialist Stuart Wright is clear and concise in his advice” Legal 500 (2013)
- “Stuart Wright also wins praise from solicitors who need a commercial litigator that knows the region well.” “Confident and reliable,” he is sought out by clients faced with commercial and contractual disputes of many different types” Chambers & Partners (2013)
- “Personal injury specialist Stuart Wright takes a ‘pragmatic and realistic approach to cases'” Legal 500 (2012)
- “Stuart Wright is a ‘good advocate’, who provides ‘clear advice and pleadings'” “…housing specialist Stuart Wright is ‘very efficient, prompt and thorough’…” Legal 500 (2011)
- “Stuart Wright is an excellent junior choice for housing law” Legal 500 (2010)
- “Stuart Wright is an excellent choice for housing law, handling cases ranging from anti-social behaviour to those with mental health issues” Legal 500 (2009)
- “Stuart Wright is rated highly for housing law” Legal 500 (2008)
VAT No. 797491071Commercial
Over recent years Stuart has developed an increased focus on contractual disputes involving a wide range of business / commercial and private matters and has achieved independent recognition for his work. Stuart has been praised for his insightfulness for commercial sensitivities and business expediency.
Complimented by his experience in personal injury work Stuart has acted in a number of inquests, particularly Article 2 inquests concerning the actions local authorities and NHS trusts.
Stuart has considerable experience in Personal Injury and Fatal Accident actions (including multi-track cases and inquests). Stuart takes pride in his pragmatic approach to resolving liability disputes and provides thorough, practical and where appropriate innovative advice – which often gets results. His sensible and compassionate approach is supported by his first-rate client care.
Stuart is frequently instructed in professional negligence cases involving a range of disciplines, principally concerning solicitors, surveyors, expert valuers, architects, engineers, builders and accountants although over the years his work has included a broad spectrum of professions including expert witnesses, loss adjusting, software design, psychology and zoology.
Stuart has extensive experience in a wide variety of Property Law matters, with a particular emphasis on Landlord & Tenant disputes, both business and private (whether short or long term leasehold). Stuart is regularly instructed in actions in both the County Court and the First-Tier Tribunal (Property Chamber) (formerly known as the ‘LVT’ Leasehold Valuation Tribunal), including cases involving Business Tenancies, Leasehold enfranchisement, Service Charge disputes, Management issues and suchlike.
Stuart qualified as an ADR Group Accredited Civil & Commercial Mediator in 2014. Since then he has successfully mediated a wide range of civil & commercial disputes and, together with HH Keith Hollis, spearheaded the development of chambers’ separate mediation brand ‘Disputes Mediated’. His longstanding background as a civil barrister and his ability to identify and focus on the issues at the heart of the dispute together with his personable manner has repeatedly won him praise from former mediation clients.
1 Crown Office Row remains a Tier 1 Set in the Legal 500 2020 - Sep 2019
Momentous game at the Brighton Metro Bank Pool League! - Jun 2019
Stuart Wright successfully defends laser hair removal clinic against an injury claim by a TV actress - Feb 2019
Stuart Wright succeeds in a High Court action following the dissolution of a share of freehold company - Oct 2018
Stuart Wright succeeds in £850,000 solicitors professional negligence claim - Sep 2018
Stuart Wright appointed Head of Civil Team - Mar 2018
Contracts Seminar on recent changes to the law of illegality and limitation cases - Oct 2017
Stuart Wright successfully represented a HMO landlord in a civil action against him - Jul 2017
Seminar: Consumer Rights Act 2015 and Interpreting Documents Guide - Apr 2016