Sophie has extensive experience of a range of hearings in the criminal courts, from trials to Proceeds of Crime Act applications. She is known for her ability to quickly grasp the issues in each case, for her sensible advice, and for her care and attention to detail. Sophie has experience of handling vulnerable witnesses and conducting youth trials and has shown herself to be at ease dealing with sensitive areas such as sexual assault. Sophie is well regarded for her approachable and realistic manner, and her ability to put clients at ease whilst giving firm advice.
She regularly defends road traffic offences. She has a firm technical understanding of the complexities of the law in driving offences. She is able to provide realistic advice to clients. She has a fantastic success rate in minimising penalties for driving offences.
Sophie is a Level 3 CPS Prosecutor.
- RSCPA (2020): Prosecuted case of abandoned snake.
- (2020): Secured acquittal for man accused of assault and threatening his ex-partner.
- R v Davidoff (2020): Prosecuted Indecent Exposure case.
- R v Roffey (2019): Resisted appeal of vegan activist convicted of spitting at a woman.
- RSCPA Appeal (2019): Resisted appeal of man convicted under section 9 of the Animal Welfare Act 2006.
- R v LW (2019): Successfully defending a young male accused of assaulting his 4 year old step-son. The case required cross-examination of a medical expert and handling a vulnerable child witness.
- R v TH and others (2018): Acting as junior counsel for a defendant charged with attempted murder.
- R v NM (2018): Secured conviction of a defendant accused of outraging public decency on public transport.
- R v CA (2018): Representing a defendant accused of numerous offences contrary to the Insolvency Act and Companies Act in the winding up of his business.
- R v IM and others (2018): Acting as junior counsel for the defence in a multi-handed drugs conspiracy involving a London gang.
- R v SO (2018): Representing a defendant accused of sexual assault and domestic violence in a prosecution with a non-supportive victim.
- R v IG (2018): Prosecution of a defendant accused of breaking into a house and assaulting the 81 year old occupant.
- R v TM (2018): Prosecuting a serving police officer accused of outraging public decency and indecent exposure on public transport.
- R v LJ (2018): Prosecuting a defendant with mental health difficulties, involving argument as to whether he could form the requisite intention for the offence of attempted robbery.
- R v RG (2018): Acting for the defendant in a Proceeds of Crime Act application involving over £250,000.
- R v MM (2017): Defending a young male accused of stabbing an 18 year old boy in a KFC restaurant.
- R v WB (2017): Representing a defendant accused of sexual activity with an 8 year old family member.
- R v JG (2017): Representing a young man accused of sexual activity with an underage female.
- R v DL (2017): Acting for the Home Office in the prosecution of a female accused of assisting unlawful immigration into an EU member state.
- R v RB (2017): Representing a defendant with mental health difficulties accused of indecent exposure towards school age females.
- R v JB (2017): Prosecuting the trial of a male accused of sexually assaulting a female outside a nightclub.
- R v GA and others (2016): Secured acquittal as junior counsel in a multi-handed rape case.
- RSPCA v HD and others (2016): Secured convictions of four defendants charged with animal welfare offences.
- R v LG (2016): Defending a 20 year old male at his sentence for causing serious injury by dangerous driving, and securing a suspended sentence.
- R v JB (2016): Securing the acquittal after trial of a male accused of possession of a bladed article, a samurai sword.
Sophie Evans prosecutes case of abandoned snake - Nov 2020
Sophie Evans secures acquittal in her first post-lockdown trial - Aug 2020
(Remote) Life at the Bar with the Sutton Trust - Apr 2020
Sophie Evans Prosecutes Indecent Exposure Case - Feb 2020
Sophie Evans appointed as a Level 3 CPS Prosecutor - Jan 2020
Appeal dismissed for vegan activist convicted of spitting at a woman - Dec 2019
Sophie Evans Successful in Winchester RSPCA Appeal - Dec 2019
Sophie Evans Defends Male Accused of Assaulting a 4 Year Old Boy - Oct 2019
Sophie Evans Prosecutes in Dog Cruelty Case - Aug 2019
Sophie Evans Successful in a Taxi Licensing Appeal - Apr 2019
Ready, Set, Bake! Join 1COR as we participate in the Great Legal Bake Off - Feb 2019
1 Crown Office Row form panel for University of Sussex Criminal Advocacy Competition - Dec 2018
Members of Chambers defend in multi-handed attempted murder trial - Oct 2018
Cheer on our team in the Brighton Legal Walk 2018! - Sep 2018
Matthew Heywood and Sophie Evans secure suspended sentence in class A drugs conspiracy - Jul 2018
Brighton Triathlon & London to Brighton Bike Ride - Sep 2017
Raising money for London Legal Support Trust - Jun 2017
Charlotte Morrish and Sophie Evans are new Members of Chambers - Oct 2014
New Magistrate Court Appeals Guide incorporating upcoming rule changes - Mar 2014
Martin Downs and Richard Ager and 1COR pupil Sophie Evans have drafted two guides on how to appeal against care and placement orders - Jan 2014