Matthew Withers successfully defends allegations of disability discrimination by association - Jul 2021
Employment & Equality
In employment law Matthew has experience of a wide range of cases in the Employment tribunal, county court and High Court covering claims in TUPE, Discrimination, Equal pay, constructive unfair dismissal. Matthew also regularly acts in restraint of trade cases, advising in and responding to applications for interim injunctions.
During pupillage he assisted on numerous matters including acting for the respondent employer defending claims brought by 16 claimants framed in unfair dismissal, redundancy and TUPE, and for a claimant in a maternity/pregnancy discrimination claim against a NHS Trust.
Matthew acts for both Claimants and Defendants.
- Acted for Respondent firm successfully resisting allegations of direct disability discrimination, harassment and victimisation.
- Advised his senior executive client on her redundancy, against a background of potential actions for sexual harassment and direct sex discrimination.
- Appeared in the Queen’s Bench Division resisting an application for an interim injunction in a restraint of trade matter, Matthew successfully resisted the making of an injunction and negotiating an order compromising the entire action on terms that allowed his client to continue his business.
- Assisted in negotiations on behalf of a former female CEO of an international investment corporate entity against the chair of the entity’s group, in her claims which involved sex discrimination.
- Acted for the Respondent accountancy firm in respect of an equal pay claim.
- Advised a firm of solicitors on a restraint of trade matter, concerning their proposed employment of an employee from a competing firm
- Acted for a former police officer who brought claims of negligent misstatement against his former employer in relation to his security clearance.
See you at the virtual ULaw Pupillage Fair - Nov 2020
Catch up on our latest Civil Law Seminar on housing possession claims and civil procedure amendments - Aug 2020
1COR’s annual Ghulam Hussain Volleyball Cup featured in The Argus - Aug 2019
1COR’s annual Ghulam Hussain Volleyball Cup is here! - Jul 2019
Momentous game at the Brighton Metro Bank Pool League! - Jun 2019
Matthew Withers instructed to resist an urgent injunction relating to restraint of trade at the Royal Courts of Justice - May 2019
Cheer on 1COR at the Brighton Metro Bank Pool League - Jan 2019
Congratulations to Matthew Withers and David Reader joining 1COR as tenants - Oct 2018
Matthew Withers prosecutes man charged with public nuisance for incident that closed a major road in the centre of Brighton - Oct 2018
Matthew Withers instructed in appeal against sentence by professional footballer - Jul 2018