Martin Downs and Luisa Morelli appear in childhood vaccination injunction challenge - Jun 2021
Luisa Morelli has over 25 years’ experience in all aspects of Family Law, specialising in both Public Law and complex private law cases. She appears in all levels of court and is known for her strong and effective advocacy. Luisa’s practical approach is aimed at ensuring that her clients get the best possible outcome to their cases.Children (Public Law)
In Public Law matters Luisa is regularly instructed in complex cases where there are allegations of non accidental injury, sexual abuse, parental drug and alcohol abuse, mental illness and cognitive limitations. Her practice is balanced between representing Local Authorities, parents, grandparents and Guardians and on occasion Gillick competent children.
- AB (Childhood Vaccination)  EWHC 158 1: Represented child in childhood vaccination injunction challenge.
- K (a child : fact finding), Re  EWFC B85 (1 July 2015) Representing the mother in a hearing where the child aged 11 months had suffered a number of serious unexplained injuries. The local authority sought findings that they were deliberately inflicted. The mother was exonerated in respect of a number of the findings.
- Re W (A Child)  EWCA Civ 106;  2 F.L.R. 240: Acting for the local Authority before the President of the Family Division in a case concerning separation under an Interim Care Order. The father’s appeal was dismissed.
- O'Connel & Ors (Children) Rev 2  EWCA Civ 759 (22 June 2005): The case established a presumption in favour of McKenzie Friends being permitted in family courts
- A Local Authority v S (2016): Representing a grandparent where the local authority plan was for adoption of a 6 year old child. Succeeded in having the child placed with the grandparent under a Special Guardianship Order.
- A Local Authority v F, S and K (2018): Representing grandparents in gaining permission to be joined as parties to care proceedings in respect of their 3 grandchildren against the wishes of the local authority and their Children’s Guardian.
- A Local Authority v B (2018): Representation of a mother who was facing allegations of having deliberately inflicted injuries on her 3 month old child and/or of having failed to protect the child from being injured. The mother was exonerated of all findings and child returned to the mother's full time care.
- A Local Authority v M (2017): Representing a father accused of historical rape and sexual abuse against a sibling within in care proceedings.
Private Law Luisa has dealt with a wide range of cases including those dealing with :
• Intractable contact / residence disputes and cases where all contact has broken down following the breakdown of a relationship.
• Specific issue orders / Prohibited Steps orders including for education / holidays abroad / change of school/ vaccinations.
• Special Guardianship Orders for grandparents and extended family members
• Cases where a Rule 16.4 Guardian has been appointed.
• Private law cases involving S.37 investigations.
• Private law cases where there are common issues being dealt with in pending criminal proceedings against one of the parents.
• Representing grandparents seeking contact -from initially obtaining permission to make the application, through to dealing with the substantive application.
Luisa Morelli and Clare Ciborowska appear before the Court of Appeal - Dec 2011
Four members in key case on the independence of Children’s Guardians - Jul 2011