Adam Smith steps down after serving 9 years as co-chair of the Sussex Family Justice Board - Nov 2022
Adam Smith has been a family law specialist for over 30 years.
He is head of the family team in Brighton, and served as Co-Chair of the Sussex Family Justice Board for nine years between 2013 and 2022, responsible for seeking to improve family Justice both locally and nationally.
Adam has a very high profile in local and national policy making.
Adam specialises in cases that involve complex medical evidence (including child death) allegations of sexual abuse, factitious illness and cases involving conflicting medical evidence. He also has experience in private law cases involving parental alienation, and intractable contact disputes.Children (Public Law)
Adam represents local authorities, parents, children and interveners on the most serious and complex cases.
- Re : E (2019- 2022): Leading Junior in an extremely long running and complex case, hearing over 25 days, including appeal. Instructed by the local authority in which findings of sexual abuse, (involving transmission of HPV), and failure to protect made. Multiple experts with conflicting opinions.
- Re FT (2020): Representing a very vulnerable mother with significant learning and communication needs in a tragic child death case in The High Court. Led By Alison Grief QC. Client wholly exonerated from responsibility for her babies’ death, or any failure to protect.
- Re LB ( 2016): Representing father accused of killing his child with horrific multiple injuries. Led by Paul Storey QC in the High Court. Clint completely exonerated and as a result protected in the subsequent criminal proceedings.
- Re: A County Council v KO & RL & ML & MML (by their guardian)  EWFC 21: Acted for the second respondent in an application for care orders relating to two children.
- Re G (A Child) (CA)  EWCA Civ 1377.
- A County Council v K, C & T (CA)  2 FLR 817.
- Re H (Care proceedings: Disclosure) (CA)  2 FLR 1531.
- Re F  (Judicial Review). A high profile matter attracting media attention.
- Re W (Contact: Joining child as a party) [CA] (2003) 1 FLR 681.
Adam has significant experience in complex private law matters. These include private law cases involving allegations implacable hostility, shared care arrangements, internal and external relocation, special guardianship and fact-finding hearings regarding domestic violence, sexual abuse and children giving evidence. Adam also acts for parents in section 8 Children Act 1989 applications, including those which feature non-compliance and enforcement, require a rule 16.4 guardian, involving permission to remove children from England and Wales, and where special guardianship orders are sought.
He has a reputation for compassion for his clients, and hard work and results.
Adam has extensive experience of dealing with domestic abuse cases, and has acted for parties in protected injunction proceedings where the court is dealing with complex and serious factual issues.
COVID-19 Vaccination: Join us for a discussion of the medical and legal issues around vaccination - Mar 2021
Adam Smith and Rachel Gimson provide Family Law training for Clock Project volunteers - Oct 2020
1COR Finalists for Regional Chambers of the Year at the Family Law Awards - Sep 2020
1COR’s Family Law Forum begins by looking at the ‘new normal’ for family law practitioners - May 2020
New decade, new win at the Metro Bank Professionals Pool League - Feb 2020
1COR nominated for ‘Family Law Chamber of the Year: Regional Award’ at the Family Law Awards - Sep 2019
1COR’s annual Ghulam Hussain Volleyball Cup featured in The Argus - Aug 2019
1COR proud to present the Brighton Prize for Family Law at Brighton Business School Prizegiving Ceremony - Aug 2019
1COR’s annual Ghulam Hussain Volleyball Cup is here! - Jul 2019
New for 2019: Who is Who in Sussex Family Justice - Apr 2019
Chambers sponsors new website for Sussex Family Justice Board - Apr 2019
Nuffield Observatory publish Insight Piece on Quality Circle - Feb 2019
1COR speakers at the West Sussex Resolution AGM & Family Law Day - Nov 2018
1COR members demonstrate how Arbitration with Children can work at the Mock Arbitration - Jun 2018
1COR Brighton raising awareness of Mental Health for Mental Health Awareness Week - May 2018
Seven Members of Chambers address Kent Law Society Family Law Conference - Jun 2017
Brighton Clerks Win Clerking Team of the Year - Nov 2016
Adam Smith and Martin Downs speak at screening of film on Radicalisation - Nov 2016
Crown Office Row Brighton Sponsor Business School Award - Aug 2016
Court service required to fund litigation in family proceedings - Jan 2015
Seminar: Nothing else will do – Where are we now with Re B & Re BS? - Dec 2014
Family Justice? The Family Justice Review & The Legal Aid, Sentencing and Punishment of Offenders - Nov 2011
Four members in key case on the independence of Children’s Guardians - Jul 2011
We are currently recruiting family law practitioners - Dec 2010