Clare is an experienced family law Barrister. She joined chambers in 2010 after successful completion of pupillage and has since built a strong local practice with particular emphasis on public and private law children matters.
Clare is regularly instructed by Local Authorities, Parents, Children, the Official Solicitor and interveners in complex disputes and has significant experience of conducting trials and fact-finding hearings concerning allegations of harm, neglect, abuse and non-accidental injuries.
Clare accepts instructions in both private and public law cases.
In public law she has considerable experience in care and placement order proceedings and has a particular interest in cases with international elements and those that cross over from private law into public law.
In private law she has considerable experience in applications for Child Arrangements Orders and particularly those concerning intractable contact disputes, implacable hostility, applications for specific issue and prohibited steps orders, internal/external relocation cases and cases involving s37 procedure.
Clare also has a growing practice in International Family law and has been involved in several cases in both private and public law involving a variety of international issues both locally and in the High Court in London. Clare has also delivered in-house seminars in Chambers on International Family Law topics.
Clare has built up an excellent reputation and is adept at representing both professional clients and lay clients from a wide range of backgrounds and particularly those who are vulnerable.
Clare is committed to developing the careers of junior barristers and child care practitioners and is involved in delivering training to Bar students with the Inner Temple and to student social workers at the University of Sussex.
Outside of work Clare enjoys travel, music and current affairs.
- University of Sussex - BA (Hons) Contemporary History - 1st Class (2001-2004)
- University of Sussex - CPE – Merit (2007-2008)
- College of Law, London - BVC - Very Competent (2008-2009)
Scholarships, Prizes & Further Training
- Inner Temple Exhibition Scholarship for CPE (2007-2008)
- Inner Temple Exhibition Scholarship for BVC (2008-2009)
- Winner of the University of Sussex Mooting Competition (2008)
- Keble Advanced Advocacy Training 2015
Membership & Associations
- Associate of the School of Social Work and Social Care at the University of Sussex
- Contributor to Chambers’ Human Rights Blog http://ukhumanrightsblog.com/
- Member of the Family Law Bar Association (FLBA). In October 2012 Clare was granted a scholarship from the FLBA and Bar Council to attend a family law conference on alternative dispute resolution (ADR) in Singapore in October 2011.
- Committed member of the Bar Pro Bono Unit.
Significant cases include the following
Re W (A Child)  EWCA Civ 106;  2 F.L.R. 240 – Acting for the father before the President of the Family Division in a case concerning separation under an Interim Care Order
VAT Registration No: 997 8588 14