We undertake a broad range of employment work, both advisory and appearing in the High Court, County Courts, Employment Tribunals and EAT. These include high profile cases involving the Police, the NHS, Central and Local Government and the Armed Forces. We frequently represent parties at internal disciplinary hearings and we have extensive experience of representing professionals and professional bodies at disciplinary tribunals. We have wide experience also with cases concerning discrimination law in the provision of goods, facilities and services and the Public Sector Equality Duties.
Principal areas of work:
• Unfair dismissal/wrongful dismissal
• Transfer of Undertakings
• Information & Consultation
• Maternity/Paternity Rights
• Part-Time, Fixed-Term & Agency Workers
• Restraint of Trade (often leading to injunctions in the High Court)
• Contractual, Wages/Bonus claims
• Public Interest Disclosure ("whistleblowing")
• Breach of Confidence & Data Protection problems
• Professional Discipline and Injunctions
• Public Sector Equality Duties including Judicial Review
• Discrimination in relation to all protected characteristics in the context of both employment and the provision of goods and services
This team has the advantage that many of its members have extensive experience in related claims such as those concerning disability issues, stress at work and public law remedies. Chambers and Partners Legal Directory recognise us as a top-rated set in the area of professional discipline (with individual members ranked as leaders in the professional discipline and employment fields). The consequence of this is that we are able to bring to bear a multi-disciplinary approach which frequently assists in developing innovative approaches to problems.
Members of Chambers are increasingly engaged with questions of discrimination law generally and have appeared in cases concerning discrimination in education and the provision of goods, facilities and services for Claimants and Public Authorities as well as litigation around support for special educational needs.
In addition we advise public authorities on compliance with their equality duties. Chambers has particular experience in Central and Local Government cases.
Download brochure version